Saturday, December 29, 2007

THE ROOTS – MY FAMILY

Born in an upper middle class family, where the grandparents are mighty richer than your parents – the usual. When your honest dad doesn’t want to succumb to the corrupted society and stands his ground, you can be proud but definitely not rich. Moreover, when your dad is a doctor, the people who knows you expect you to be rich, because that’s written in the book – that need not be always true. Mom had me raised on ambitions and good grades but dad wanted discipline and awesome grades, bottom line – as long as I study well I’ll be a prince! Pride is something which affects every family in some level; mine was no exception, so being the eldest son of the two the onus on me would always be high. Mom is a mixture of the 90’s and trying hard to cope up with the 07, dad is happy where he is in the 70’s and doesn’t believe in the 2K era, younger bros are always irritating especially when they act smart for their age. Although we would have been in the same position once, we cannot accept it, that’s the story of my bro who’s 8 years younger than me. My family photo mounted at the top of my TV at home reminds me of how much I do not belong in it- physically and in existence. In that picture, one would see a 40ish man wearing glasses which adds wisdom to his age standing beside a 40ish women in sari who embraces culture, you would also see a kid who believes he’s as good as superstar Rajinikanth, boasting his new style of dressing – so far so good. Behind these three people, you would see a looming figure, standing more than 6 feet tall with brown hair till his shoulders, staring at the cam with his blue contacts, now that does not fit in(me). Mom and dad are firm believers of god, they pray every day, they worship everyday and they go to temples and spiritual seminars whenever there is one. But I can distinctly remember the times when I go to the temple, it’s on new year’s day and my birthdays, I go because only then will I be licensed to spend my mom’s money. I never ask my dad money, I don’t have a reason why, my mom is always my financial service and my ATM( any time mummy), I love my mom the most, much much more than my dad. Dad’s a spend thrift, he hates me spending money on gadgets and other stuff which I consider is “kewl and sexy”, mom seconds dad in this but then caves in for my charms (read this as begging). After 21 years of being with them, I departed to Aussie on 20th July 2007 in order to take my education to the higher level - MBA. You never know the value of family until you are away, now I miss them, now I realise how much they mean to me, now I realise I am nothing without them. There were the good times and the bad times, but whatever the times were I would cherish it my whole life and tell my kids I had the best parents ever. This is my family.

"Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family. Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one." - Jane Howards

No comments: